View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 09:28 AM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Orvis Battenkill Reels

That is correct, they where made in England by British Reel Works which, I believe, Orvis took and equity position in. The reel featured an odd "off-set disc drag" set up which you can see with the spool removed. It is actuated by a pair of mating gears; a clunky design long ago replaced by a variety of hub-based concentric drag systems (some of which do not necessarily work any better). There was a more elegant version of it from the same mfg. called the CFO Disc and STH of Argentina played with it for a short while too. Be careful when removing the spool, there is a bushing that likes to fall out and get lost. I still have one of these in 7/8 too with a #5 or 6 line on it lurking in the back of my fishing closet somewhere. Hardly a collectors item but modestly serviceable enough.