View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 10:57 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good spey rod for stillwater bass

I don't think that the flies you have in mind and a 120' cast the skagit is the best choice. As for rods, my favorite rod on the planet is my Meiser. However, they are not cheap, but nothing about spey rods are. TFO has rods that are much less spendy then the Meisers and have the advantage of still being designed by him. If you want to hit 120' you are going to want to have a fairly long and heavier weight rod. Unless you are a really great caster right away that is. I'd go at least 13' 6" and 8 or 9 wt. The thing with fishing a lake or really big water of anykind is, I don't think there is such a thing as to far a cast. A lot of people will tell you that you can't actually catch a fish out really far but it isn't true and it's nice to be able to hit those far spots the other guys can't reach.

For the flies you want, the Scandi or a short belly spey line are the best coices. If you want to cast bottom hand which does not go as far, use a Scxandi. If you want to bomb a cast into the next zipcode go with a short belly spey line like a Delta tactical or something.

I may a bit prejudiced here on this because I just don't like bottom hand casting. I think the reason it doesn't cast as far is not the cast itself but where it ends. You have the butt jammed in your guy and can't make the same motions I use that get me the extra distance. Well that's part of the problem. If you look at two hand distance casters, I have never seen a bottom hand caster doing it. I'm not saying I don't use my bottom hand. I probably use 35% - 40% of the cast is my bottom hand. Bottom hand casters it's 90% bottom hand.

One last note, those Trevor Morgan lines delopez mentioned are the bomb. I have several and when I talk about hitting 140' it's with a Trevor Morgan line. This is not a bad estimate on distance either. This is against a known length on something (Railroad bridge w/ 30" sections) and where I hit with the fly. It's easier to get them than it was in the past also. Thay take paypal now.