View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 09:16 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Brian's one a month challenge.

i tie mickey finns as follows

tie in the oval tinsel 1 eye length behind the eye and spiral wrap your thread over the oval tinsel to the bend of the hook.

return the tying thread back to the tie in poind behind the eye.

tie in the flat tinsel gold side up using 3-5 wraps on thread.

now i wrap the flat tinsel back to the bend in touching turns.

at the bend of the hook, i then wrap the tinsel forward in touching turnd to the tie of point. this back and forth wrapping of the flat tinsel ensures there will be no gaps in the tinsel to have the thread show through. an extra step but i think it makes for a better tied body.

i the prepare my first bunch of buck tail for the wing. just before i tie in the wing, i will take 2 wraps of thread around the butts of the buck tail only. then i position the butts on the hook shank and secure with tight wraps of thread but not too tight where it flares the bucktail wing. wrapping around the buck tail butts helps to keep them on top of the hook shank and it also helps in keeping the buck tail seperate from each other.

dont forget to trim the butts of the buck tail at an angle to help create the conical head of the fly.

repeat the process with the remaining buck tail wings

reference

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...021901fotw.php

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/