View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 02:51 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brian's one a month challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian miville View Post
Well, let's just say it is another streamer that I have used to nail bluegills with ease. You could say this streamer could be comfortable wearing either a crown or holding a set of reigns.
Sounds like we could be looking at a Royal Coachman shortly.................. Not a particularly easy tie with the herl, the feather wings and the hackle. Check out some of s. fontinalis's posts; you'll find some nice RCs in them.

Pocono

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrx View Post
tying a dozen (or more) of a pattern really helps to get the proprotions right and also sets the methodology of tying the particular fly solidly in your mind.

Dave
+1 on that one!

When I started tying, I learned from a guy named Stanley Cooper, Jr. He had been a professional tyer at Abercrombie's in NYC for years; back when they used to be more into sports than fabrics. He once told me, in response to a questions that I asked of him; something like: "how long does it take to really get a pattern down?", "Once you've tyed up a dozen dozen, you've pretty much got it nailed". That's 12 12's; roughly 150 flies.

So, I think that there's a lot to be said for repetition. I remember when I sent in flies for my first swap on NAFFF; I think it was a Tups Indispensable, I tyed 4 dozen to get 12 flies that I wasn't ashamed of to send off; and those 12 were nothing to write home about...............

Pocono