View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 10:28 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Took a big step today....

College is pushed in our culture, and it's not necessary or even helpful for everyone. It can leave people with a lot of debt and without training or desire to do much to pay it off, seen friends go through that. You just need to consider what you want to do and see what's necessary to do it. It could be a 4 year degree or some other training or certification which could be a lot less expensive and might serve you better. For what I do, undergrad plus grad school was necessary, but not true for everyone or every profession. Folks can get 'well rounded' if they are interested and motivated to learn on their own, without paying professors. Many of the things I really love to learn about, I didn't cover in class.

Don't forget about auditing courses. Often fairly cheap and you can get a sense of courses, program, professors, etc etc. Might end up retaking classes, for credit. But it could help you go into a program with greater confidence that it's what you want.

On a side note, in both undergrad and grad school, my classmates who took time to work before going on in school were almost all focused, hard working, and successful. Their experience and the time they took to figure out their priorities served them very well.