View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 11:44 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: I am now a total believer in there is such a thing as 'Dumb Stupid Luck.'

Appears I'm not the only one that's walked down this road.

Normal lighters I use are some old 'Ronson' butane refillables with the electronic ignition. Things are bullet proof as to their function. You could toss one in the river (or have it drop out of your shirt pocket), pull it out, shake it off and they just 'work.'

At 70 you have a lot of 'old stories,' here's another one. Three Drift boats, three day float and the weather went to hell in a hand basket. Rain was predicted, but not like this. Fishing was a dead issue, but once you're in the river, there's no place to go save for the pull out 40 some miles down stream.

Beach camping in tents and strung tarps for cooking shelter. Not a dry piece of wood within 100 miles sort of thing. One old Guy, as we're sitting there freezing out collective butts, gets up and walks over to his DB and pulls out a pack of plastic wrapped Presto Logs (I kid you not), dumps them in a above ground fire pit folks had 'built,' stuffs in a few Army Surplus fire starter sticks in the middle and pulls out one of these Ronson's. Sets same to full blast and Woozer!

Thirty'ish minutes later we had a great fire, and even the wet wood would cook off with that amount of heat underneath. On went a huge coffee pot, for coffee. Another for hot water as the main meal this evening ended up being WW2 issue MRE'S.

Tents were set well up above the beach tree line and had a 'night guard' to pull in/adjust the anchors for the DB's. Still wasn't enough, everyone kicked out of bed at 0300-0400 as the water was just short of the tree line.

End game was find high ground and set up a over head tarp with Colman Lant's and hunker down. DB's pulled into the trees and tied down with the bail plugs pulled (empty, these will self bail to a large degree).

Late morning next day the sun came out and temps jumped close to 30 some degrees. River still, YOU ARE NOT going there. End game of all this was we were all wet to the core and not a dry stitch of clothing between us (a bit of an over statement). Stuff, sleeping bags hung in trees, laid out on the rocks, etc., and let Mom Nature, and a hot sun do the rest.

Best part? Fellow had one more bag of Presto Logs; only used one that night. Plan ahead, we could be here for awhile; we did.

Other Fellows had Adult Refreshments. Second time in my life I ever gotten seriously 'drunk.' The first time was older Guys (Steelhead Trout Club of Washington) 'Let's play with the kid.' They won with home made Dago Red wine. Same fellows the second time; rolled me into a tent and out like a busted light bulb.

End of all this is what was to be a three day float took a tad over a week. To just say the Wife Types had contacted the Police/Sheriff/Whom-ever would be an understatement. 10'ish fellows totally gone missing sort of thing.

When we finally hit the pull out we had a hell of a reception committee.

But I ramble. Things now are not what they were 50 some years ago.

Good or bad? Your coin toss?
fae