View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 08:14 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Orvis Shooting Star spey rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
There are a lot of bad reviews up for the Access line, especially for the switch versions. Most of the reviews refer to constant rod breakage or the apparently notorious poor reel seat. The Helios rods are also too expensive for me, and I wouldn't really expect them to be as great in the 2 handed version. The shooting stars have gotten great reviews on the site, however, and I could save a lot of money getting the rod from Orvis with my giftcard at about $380. I could also buy the rod somewhere else, and buy the expensive line and maybe a different reel from Orvis. I'm thinking it could be equal money spent both ways, leading me to question whether the Shooting Stars are better than the slightly cheaper echos and tfos.
I can back up the rod breakage. My rod snapped at the ferrel. It slipped out and snapped on a cast. As for the reel seat... I loved it! I don't see why people complain about it. I wouldn't say that the Shooting Star is better than a TFO. I have a TFO, it was designed by Bob Meiser and Mike Kenney and they both know their rods and what they're doing. The Echo TR is Tim Rajeff's rod. He knows his rod building as well and I only hear great things when I call spey shops and ask about them. They also load very similar to the TFO Deer Creek from what I'm told. I'm not trying to talk you out of Orvis. By all means, if you cast it and love it, buy it! I'm just saying that you aren't going to go wrong with the TFO or the Echo. They're both awesome rods!