Thread: Gator Gar
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 12:24 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Gator Gar

I wasn't sure which forum to put this on, so I figured here was good enough.

Once again I am heading to Louisiana for Redfish in June. Every year (5 so far with this guide) we encounter some truely giant Alligator Gar. I am talking 6 to 7 feet long, and maybe 200-300 pounds. They lay like logs, and explode when we get near (like two feet away!). During the last phone conversation I had with him, he asked if I'd like to try for one of the 'Gator Gar. Heck, yeah!

I have outfitted a 16wt TFO Bluewater rod with an Islander AR 4.5 reel, a Rio 600 grain floating Leviathan line, and 400 yards of 50 pound gelspun backing. I figured our Tarpon leaders with their Bimini twist, and 40 pound leader would be fine, but instead of the 100 pound bite tippet, I am going to use red steelon wire to the fly. And there is the question? The fly?

Any suggestions? This will be new for the guide too. He's caught them on bait, but not on a fly rig. Suggestions please!

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.