View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 05:02 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Refuse To Fish Without It: Anyone Else Carry Nostalgic Gear?

Well it's the dead of winter here, with little relief in sight (up to 30 inches of snow on the way )
So I figured I would do a little restoration work on my Dad's old fishin' bag that he let me have years ago.

Its probably from the 50's I think. The original strap evaporated years ago, once had the shoe repair guy give it a season or two, but the materials he used were just fair. So I decided to give it some TLC in the strap department.

I bought a 56 inch belt at the local work wearhouse, and dismantled and trimmed it so I could use the original buckle.
Couple rivets on each side and presto. I wrestled with the idea of using leather on a canvass bag, but I like the wide, thick, durable nature of the leather. Plus it should outlast the bag anyway so I hope the body of it holds for a while. There are three separate compartments, very handy for holding leaders and leader materials.
In my college days I used it as a book bag. This was during one of my hiatuses from fly fishing.

Anyone else have a piece of gear that has a special place in your heart? As long as I can remember, Dad used this canvass letter carrier's bag as a fishing bag. He used to work for the post office planning, organizing, and managing routes for the carriers. How he came by it don't know.

It may not be the latest in gear, it may not be waterproof, it probably will fail me some day in the bush, it may even cause my flies to prematurely rust, and it may stink up the car, but I refuse to fish without it.

Click the image to open in full size.

Cheers
Phil