Thread: Nautilus FWX
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 11:47 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Nautilus FWX

I spent some time with Kristen Mustad at the Nautilus both at Somerset. He assured me that there have been no modifications of the drag in FWX and maintained that he considered it appropriate for even bonefishng...though, of course, he would prefer his NV on the flats. As I have said previously, there are very few reel/drag designs that are scalable from light trout to bluewater and Mustad has intelligently designed FWX for lines up to #7 or 8 and NV from #6 on up to tuna. The two FWX we have feature fine tolerances and I have not noticed and fit issues with internal components. For mid-$200's there is no other US made reel in its league in my view and it bests some more expensive reels as well. I will caution that the reel is light enough to be problematic; the 5/6 was too light for the rod I intended to mate it to and and I had to use it with a different rod that was lighter. Light though it is, it is reasonably rigid and flexes less than a bunch of reels I examined at the show. Some light weight reels popular in this forum I felt like I could crush in my hands but not the FWX. One maker I had hoped to visit with, Galvan, was not present at the Show. One of my buddys did buy one of their reels in a saltwater size from a vendor though at a very reasonable price. Now it had no backing or line on it which would have helped but empty it was one flexy piece of work. Like I said, few reel designs are scalable from little to large and perhaps in a trout size it might have been less so. I am keeping an open mind until a sample comes my way and I am in the market for a new 5/6 size reel for this Spring to put Cortland Boss on.