Thread: Best Fish
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 11:17 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Best Fish

Every fish I've ever caught was the best!

The most memorable fish I've caught is a different matter! I once caught an 18" Crappie on a very large fly rod popper while fishing a small pond for bass. The first Pickerel I ever caught, when I was a kid, was taken on a small spinner. It struck just as I was lifting the lure from the water to make another cast. I recall it fell off the hook as I swung it onto the shore, and I jumped on it to keep it from flopping back into the water. The first Smallmouth Bass I ever caught was on a silver & chrome Rebel Humpback lure in a small stream that will remain nameless here in MD. It was only about 10" long, but it hit & fought hard, and to this day, they're my favorite freshwater species. I remember a 12" Bluegill I caught as a kid in a tidal creek near where I grew up, taken on a small streamer while fishing for Perch. That's a big Bluegill in this area as an average size is 5-6". I once caught several Striped Bass in the Susquehanna River, on Deceivers & an old 8 wt fiberglass fly rod. All of them were over 30" in length. Have no idea how much they weighed, and all were released. That was during the first year of the Moratorium that was placed on them. I was fishing for bass, but the Stripers cooperated more! I also once caught two carp in a small stream on my fly rod, the first I ever caught with it. Both took about 30 minutes to land, and both took a nymph with a bit of earthworm added. I was fishing for Bluegills, and didn't even realize there would be carp in that small stream. I lost a bass one time while fishing a river in Florida with my 6 wt. It was the end of the day, right across the river from where I rented a boat. May have been over 5lbs, but I'll never know for sure.The knot gave way, and I only got a quick look at it. I had caught several smaller bass & lots of big Bluegills that day, so it was great way for the day to end. Memories!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!