View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 03:21 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spring fed pond with stocked trout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo_farmboy View Post
I'm not sure how deep the pond is, this was my first time fishing this pond. I was just blind casting since I couldn't see any fish. I would say that the pond was about 100-130 yards across. The next time I go out to that pond I'm gonna try some white wooly buggers and might try to get some vanilla extract and see if that will help any. I tried a muddler minnow for a little while today and fished it sort of like a popper but it didn't get any strikes. From what I saw from the people that were catching fish, they were catching them about 4 feet down and about 30-40 feet from the bank.
Vanilla extract is good for carp not trout. Try getting your fly to where the spin guys are 40 ft out and to the depth. Stockers aren't super picky when they first are put in and even later . They become conditioned to things like pellets being thrown in the water and feeding times. Try a handful of sand and cast a green weenie where you three the sand. Again I will stress watch for the coldest and most oxygenated spots especially in a pond. A feeder stream , a spring or a deep dark spot. And once you find one if there's not alot of structure you'll find more. Look for water that's similar to where you see fish being caught.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser