View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 11:57 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tied up some clousers last night

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofamberley View Post
By the way, thank you Diver Dan for the tip about putting down some head cement before wrapping up the head
You are welcome! Those Firetiger Clousers are a great fly, glad to see you made some of those also. Actually, Clousers in general are a great fly. Good job on those.

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofamberley View Post
Thanks
My main concern is that they may be a little bit long for the hooks I used (Gamakatsu SC15's, size 1, recommended to me at the fly shop).
I would not worry to much about it. Fish tend to gulp the whole fly when taking minnow type patterns. Try them out and see how they ride in the water. The main problem I have had with hooks and Clousers is to heavy wire for not enough weight in the eyes. There is a point where they stop riding right in the water.

Also, if you fish a spot where you hang up a lot like I do, use a thinner wire hook you can bend out and free. I use #2 Aberdeens and bend the eye down. The down eye helps make them ride right way up, plus the wire is thin enough to pull loose if you hang up in crud on the bottom.

You should see the crud I have dragged up off the bottom by the way. Do you think it's lucky if you drag up a horse shoe?
Click the image to open in full size.