Thread: Moonshine
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 05:56 PM

jeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Moonshine

Great thread. I have lots of stories about growing up in moonshine country. Moonshine and **** hunting comes to mind. My next door neighbor's were moonshiner's. I learned how to make it, how to test the bead, how to break the bead down, and I made moonshine in science class as a class experiment one time. I've been around a few stills, too. That was all over forty years ago in bristol, tenn/va. My neighbor's brother was a well known moonshiner in those days. He roamed tenn, va, ky, nc, wherever they were looking for him the least. He would come back to bristol once in a while and live with his brother next door. His name was Trig Baumgartner.

I believe the largest still ever found was in tenn. The last time I got some shine we had to go to the flea market in abingdon, va to get it. Ever since sullivan county became wet and with the virginia abc stores around and everybody dying off it has gotten hard to find.

The one thing I would like to add to this thread is horehound candy. You may have heard of dropping a piece in the jar to take the edge off. That goes way back with drinking tenn moonshine. I never cared for the stuff. I used to bring that candy out to arizona with a jar of shine whenever I went back to visit my mom. It's disgusting but a part of my heritage. I like a lemon drop or mint. I've had moonshine mellowed in a char burnt barrel for one whole day and that takes the edge off, too. But if want the full experience get yourself a bag a horehound candy to go with that white lightning.