View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 11:55 AM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Brook Trout Pictures

I live in a region with the world's highest population of brook trout. There are no bass, no crappie, no sunfish, no perch, just brook trout. Only a few bodies of water contain minnows so the brook trout only eat insects and the odd little animals that fall in the water.

I catch and eat a lot of brook trout and I can say that the differences in taste are as varied as the differences in colour. There is even a lake where I fish for big brookies but I never take any home. They taste too swampy. The swampy taste started about 20 years ago when the beavers suddenly increased the water level by about 12 inches.

On the whole, brook trout taste great. I prefer the smaller ones (6 to 10 inches). Brook trout over 15 inches long are don't taste as good. That's ok with me because they put up a great fight and are the best spawners so they deserve to stay alive.

Most of the lakes and streams in my region are underfished. Removing more small trout from these waters would improve the quality.