View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Palmering hackle?

Hi Bruce,

Bill and Jay are both advocating the same method that I use but................. If you want a really full hackle you may want to take a look at the 'Salmon Fly Tie Along' thread in the Fly Tying Forums here. The very first pattern demoed there by 'Pocono' (Allan) is the 'Grub'. I am showing the picture of the one I tied as a participant in the tutorial below. The method for creating the very full and rearward slanting hackles is called 'folding' and it works quite well for the palmering of wets. The thread I will link here; Salmon Fly Tie-Along? . Within this thread which Allen put forth a Herculean effort in all of his demonstrations of tying technique and many can be adapted to other than salmon fly tying.

One note if you go with stripping half the fibers from the feathers............ be careful when you start peeling hackles so that you choose the correct side You'll want to allow for the remaining fibers to be those that will have the convex or back side of the fibers facing the hook bend to provide for the rearward tilting fibers.

Hope that adds to the already flourishing amount of advice you've already got here.

Ard

Folded Hackles;

Click the image to open in full size.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;