View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 01:39 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: remember when....

The Cabelas sold flys in a little box ad in the back of Field and Sream and Outdoor Life / dozen flys FREE just pay $1 shipping .

When you had a new fly rod it was made of fiberglass! Some hollow some solid.

The only Salt Water Fly Fishing organizations were local clubs in New Jersey and Rhode Island.

If you had a fly rod at Montauk they called the guys in the white coats to remove you. Now it's the norm'

At Hermans Sporting Goods ( which was considered the expensive store) thread was 10 and tinsel was 15 cents. A cape was 3 or 4 dollars and bucktail was a buck (of course)!

After wearing your Red Ball rubber chest waders and Helly Hanson rain jacket in the surf all day you smelled like wet rubber and you knew what leg muscles were!

Thompson Model A was the vise to have.

In Salt Fin-Nor was the reel to have and match that with a Fenwick 12 wt and you were the man!

And the zip on creel that Rip spoke of the good ones had a strip of metal sewn in the inside to prop them open the cheap ones were just a bag!

And I don't remember ever having clear head cement I think it was all amber colored.

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

And the only fishing show was Gaddabout Gaddis the Flyong Fisherman.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser