View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 09:16 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tied up some clousers last night

Kingo, your Clousers look good! I like the color choices! Agree with Dan about the lengths, Smallmouths will engulf them, so that won't likely be an issue.

One suggestion, tie some with lighter weight eyes, (bead chain works too) and move the eyes back away from the hook eye a little more on some of them. The lighter eyes will not sink as fast, which is not a bad thing sometimes, plus the jigging motion will be less pronounced. With the eyes set back a bit more (I try to go about 1/3 the shank length or slightly more) the result will be more of a gliding action, more like a standard streamer, yet the hook will still be point up and with some less pronounced jigging motion.

There's nothing wrong with what you have, but once the weight is there, if it's not working for you, and they're all tied with the same weight, there's not much you can change on the water. Variety is good!

I had learned this on my own, and later read Clousers book, which suggests the same. Clousers are excellent Smallmouth flies, but some slight adjustments can give different appearances to the same style, which is good to have available when you need it.

Here's a couple I tied, and have posted previously. Notice the eye size & position relative to the rest of the fly. These are tied on size 1 Daiichi worm hooks.
Click the image to open in full size.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!