View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Top Salmon Producers?

Hello,

Welcome to the forum, this is the first of your posts that I have seen so I'm saying hi. As for your question......... different things for different species, I haven't used eggs for a long time. The transition to a fly was simple, the reason; because the fish seem to respond well to traditional type salmon flies. Color matters, and where I fish the AK. Assasin, Max Canyon, Thor, Skykomish, are all good for kings while the other fish sometimes respond to more subdued color schemes. Even when I fished the Great Lakes streams & rivers I found that the fish grabbed an unweighted fly swung past quite regularly and the eggs were way too much like nymph fishing. However, you use what works for you and that is the norm all over the world when it comes to salmon. I would suggest that a person not become caught in a mindset whereas you believe that a salmon will not attack a fly swinging through the current. Don't get me wrong, I've caught them using a Glo-Yarn egg and a weight and by using the swinging salmon fly both. Having both experiences to draw from I find the fly to be more fun, more rewarding, and a whole lot more like what I always believed 'fly fishing for salmon' should be like.

When I first went fishing for Great Lakes salmon I followed the herd, I did what the people who wrote articles said to do. I did what the guys at fishing shops said to do. In essence I did what everybody else who were using fly rods was doing. This lasted a few seasons and one day I became tired of running with the herd. I guess I still had a streak of that teenage independence in my blood because I didn't want to be like everyone else, I wanted to be different. The crux of the whole thing was that being different was why I chose the fly rod and traditional flies for fishing and not a 'Noodle rod' and a sack of roe to get it done. I know that this thread was just a simple question and I've taken off on a philosophical flight of fancy but that's what I do when I talk fishing and when I fish.

Fish flies / swing flies / catch salmon

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;