Thread: Fly Line HELP!
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 02:58 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Default Re: Fly Line HELP!

I have the 6 wt. Three Forks 9 ft. rod. If the 5 wt. is comparable, it's probably a med. fast to fast action rod. I use line and a half line on my 6 wt. (SA textured Mastery series or Rio Grand) as I found that it loads the rod more fully for me.

Of course, how you're using the rod makes a difference. I use my 6 wt. for tossing relatively large flies long distances. If you are using the rod to cast small stuff short distances, then you may not need line and a half.

Also, I agree that you probably don't need to have an 8 wt., unless you're casting some really big, wind resistant flies. I have some flies I couldn't cast effectively until I got my 8 wt. Mice, for instance, are much easier to cast with an 8 wt.

Peace.

P.S. bear in mind that all fly line tips will eventually start to sink given enough time in the water. However, from personally experience dry fly floatant is not terribly effective on your line as it washes off too quickly. Try mucillin (sp), or some other waxy compound instead. I use chapstick alot since i always seem to havee a couple tubes with me when I go fishing.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark