View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 09:42 AM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about
Default carron style...three feather

here is an attempt at tying a carron style pattern using a simple approach...it uses materials from harvests, even the red hackle is from a rooster from a "yard bird" that was dyed red. I didnt have the proper hook , so I bent a straight shank in a "caddis" curve to try and imitate the proper salmon hook...with the eye down...

Click the image to open in full size.

its for fishing...and its fun sometimes to just play around with these things sometimes...I admire the tyers here that are so incredible with the detailed patterns...something that I just cant do...but I do,like to catch fish with flies I tie myself, and am always looking for ways to imitate the works by others, but in a fashion I can do...here is my try at a "carron" style...a pattern that is supposed to be a real "go to" for steelhead where I am headed to this season...I have been playing around with some dyes on rooster hackles...I havent found any red feathers inthe wild for a while...I did use some cardinal feathers before many years ago...but havent found anything like that recently...and like to avoid the "little baggies" from shops if at all possible...

its tied with two wood duck feathers for the wings...and the red rooster for the tail...I used some brown buffalo wool for the dubbing and lead wire for weight and spiral wrap on the body...

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/

Last edited by silvertip8k; 02-15-2013 at 09:01 AM.