View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 03:23 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dressing Lines and Lubricants

I do it pretty often. It makes a serious difference.

I run the line through a wet paper towel till I stop getting crud off of it. I have had days where after one trip it took a lot of passes to get it all off. Then I apply a line dressing up the line, then back down. Let it dry in my stripping basket and then rell it back on.

Most of the time I use STP Son of a Gun. It works great. Scientific Anglers makes a good one and usually comes with a mildly abrasive pad. I used it most of the time before I discovered Son of a Gun (El Slicko). I got a bottle of Glide line dressing. It's probably the slickest and longest lasting of the three. For best results though, you need to wait for it to dry a while (several hours is best) and then buff it. While it may be the best of the three, it is also the least convenient.

On a side note, don't use other automotive products like Armor All, because they can wreck the outer coating and destroy your line. I have lines I have used nothing but STP on for years and are good as new.