View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 10:39 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default General tackle questions

Hello,

I feel like these are not intelligent questions but I am confused about these things since I am really new at this. I also tend to over think things.

1. How heavy is too heavy for a fly? By that, I mean how heavy is too heavy for, say, a 3wt vs a 5wt vs a 7wt? I have no way of knowing but it would seem to me that a 7wt will certainly be able to cast a fly that is too heavy for a 3wt. At least it seems it would be able to cast it better: more accurate and farther.

2. On the flip side, how light is too light, for the same reasons? Or is this, too, a moot point? Can a 3wt cast a lighter fly better than a 5wt? Than an 8wt?

3. I see reels that say they can be used for, say, 4-5-6wt or 6-7-8wt. I would assume this is only because of the weight of the reel? So it balances with the corresponding rod correctly? I would assume the weight of the line has nothing to do with a reel and everything to do with the rod--or am I completely wrong?

4. Speaking of rods, is it "possible" to use different weight lines on a single fly rod efficiently and effectively? In other words, can you use a 5wt line on a 4wt rod and make it work okay? I would think trying to use a 5wt line on a 6wt rod would not work well but maybe I am wrong. I guess I am asking if you can overlap line weights and, if you can, do you use the same line on lower weight rods or higher weight rods?

5. Finally, does the length of a rod only limit the casting difference? For example, if you had an 7-foot 5wt, you may not be able to cast as far as the same rod that is 9-feet long, right? Or are there different reasons other than simple distance as to why you would use a longer or shorter rod? (Well, you use a shorter rod whenever you fish in constricted areas--are there other reasons?)

Thanks,
ray