View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 09:53 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 9ft 5w rod small stream spey fly line?

I have a 10ft 7wt single hand rod that I use for steelhead lined with 7wt Rio Indicator line. I have no problems roll casting, traditional single hand or single hand spey casting, largely in part due to the long head. Rio says it's a 400 grain head in 7wt. I throw a range of flies with this setup--single nymphs to double nymph indy to streamers. No problems.

The 5wt line is rated at 300 grains in the head and might be just what you're looking for.

I do agree with DD's post, you can and should be able to single hand spey cast with the line you've already got on it. More important, you should be able to roll cast the line. Kind of a simplistic thought, but what's the condition of your current line that's giving you problems? Maybe a good cleaning is due?