View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 04:26 PM

pryal74 has a spectacular aura aboutpryal74 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Top Salmon Producers?

Timing, persistence, patience and presentation are key for Chinook aka King Salmon.

The best patterns are streamers, early on in the run. I have had better luck with darker streamers, but that doesn't mean much. Most colors seem to produce well.

Another top producer is an egg pattern. I use a pattern I tie that mimics a small clump of roe, using lighter colors of mcflyfoam.

It will be easier to catch them during the early part of the run or fresher fish pushing upstream.

I agree with klunker, swinging is easy but boring. Stripping large meat for king salmon can be really fun though. To feel an aggressive take is something not to be missed.

Drifting egg patterns under an indicator is my personal favorite. I like to raise up on them hard after a take. The best part is, you can also find any other salmonid mixed in (the same applies with streamers). Coho, Lake-Run Browns, Steelhead and even Pinks.

If you can land a 20+ pounder right out of the lake, on a fly rod, in heavy current and on light tippet, you possess some skill for sure.