View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 08:30 PM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Wind River Range in August

That sounds just about perfect. Even if weather slows you up, getting back to the Meadow Lake TH in four days will leave you plenty of time. Also, as I mentioned before there is great camping in the Golden Lakes region, but I recommend you come over the pass and drop your packs at the lower lake and day hike up to Lake Louise and Upper Golden.

And for what it's worth here is some fishing information for ya (dated summer 2010): Lake Victor was a grand spot for me. Endless camping oppurtunities and the big lake is loaded with pan sized cutts. I caught 7-8 fish in my brief evening visit and enjoyed three of them for dinner. The foot long cutts shredded every dry fly I presented to them. I had good weather on my hike from Victor over Hay Pass and then down to the Golden Lakes. So I actually stopped at two unnamed lakes below the pass (still on the west side of the Divide) and stuck two nice cruisers at each lake. One cutt was a respectable 14" and looked to be eating well. I caught four fish on Fast Sinking Scuds in orange. The lakes have wide open shorelines, easily approached from the Hay Pass trail, and are very easily fished if the wind isn't screaming. The Golden Lakes were bitter sweet for me. I caught beautiful golden trout there, but they were small. The stream interconnecting the lakes are loaded with easily caught goldens.

Once you drop off the golden drainage, you're on your own. The fishing is so good, you don't need my help. Just make sure someone brings a net because you are going to be landing cutts all day long that are over 16".

Enjoy