View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 09:50 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spring is almost here

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
The last few weeks I've been driving back to NY to fish my early season spots. I should be exploring some early season NJ spots, but old habits die hard. The Bass still haven't woken up but a handful of Pickerel kept me busy most of the afternoon. This guy was worth a pic because of his impressive scar. It confused me a bit because this is a small pond. There shouldn't be anything toothy thats big enough to do this so it must have happened when he was young. It also looks like he was inhaled head first and somehow got away?

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
You'd be surprised. I got a 38 1/2" Pike once that was far worse chewed up than that. My Navy buddy Fred got a 40 1/2" that had a bite that made it all the way around it. And last but not least, the biggest Pike I ever saw in my entire life was in a little lake that if they allowed motors you be at the other side about the time you got it up on plane. If that fish weighed less than 40 pounds I'd eat my hat. I live in a spot with really big Pike and I have seen them try and eat stuff that looks way to big and make it.

Now for the signs of Spring, it's -21 F right now as I type this. You might be getting signs, but up here the order for the signs have not been placed yet, let alone showed up.

I should probably add: The 38 1/2" Pike was torn up from an attempt to eat it. The 40 1/2" Pike was more likely from a fight over spawning territory. The 38 1/2" Pike had been gabbed sideways more down by the dorsal and then worked towards the head to turn and swallow it. It had the vast majority of it's body worked over and judging by the wat the fish had been working it, I think it was only 2 more moves from being turned when it escaped. I really want to catch the fish that did that.