View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 02:04 PM

coug will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Abel Reels

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Read this first.

Abel Reels - FlexABELity

In theory, it's going to allow you to use the same frame with a greater variety of lines. If you purchase extra spools, this is obviously true. The problem is given the cost of spools, in some cases you might just be better off with another reel Avs, I think I warned you before when you got those nippers, but I'm going on record: Abel is a slippery slope. When you get one, there will be more. Just ask Chi, and grouch, and <insert other Abel owners here>.
I went with the flex system for a Super 7 I used for steelhead before going spey. Just a heads up that switching spools is not something you would want to do sitting in your pontoon. You need to undo the nut holding the spool on and then not loose anything. But I do change them out on the tailgate of my truck. It is a nice system. I keep a floater on one and a sink on the other for lake or single-hand steelhead fishing.

They are addictive! I have five and am planning on at least one more, and that is not even 1/5 of the number that a couple of buddies of mine have. I justify them as my retirement fund, in that I will not need to spend any money on reels once I am retired.