View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 07:50 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about
Default Deciding on a 4wt reel

Already have a 6 wt outfit and convinced myself I also "need" a 4 wt outfit to enhance my enjoyment when fishing for panfish, smaller (typically < 3 lb) largemouth bass and trout. Just purchased a St. Croix Imperial 4 wt fly rod and would appreciate your guidance on reel selection.

My impressions are:
a) Since the St. Croix Imperial is a light weight rod, it's important that the reel also be light weight for optimum balance.
b) In setting up a lightweight fly fishing outfit, money is better spent on the rod and line. Reel is basically a line holder at this line weight (#4).

That said:
1) Is it fair to say that the most important feature is low weight? If so, is it reasonable to think the reel should weight four ounces or less?
2) Should I also consider reels with click and pawl drag (assuming it results in a lighter reel) or am I better off with a disc drag to better handle larger than expected fish?
3) Is it reasonable to assume I can spend less than $100 to for a suitable reel?

Any reel suggestions?

Thanks,