View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 08:38 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new to saltwater

As Jim said more soecific would be a big help. What I can tell you walking along the beach can be productive if you know what to look for . Tides are a critical factor in fishing the salt and can also help I'm locating fish . Take a walk at dead low and look for bar formations , inlets , jettys and any other kind of structure you can find that you wouldn't see on the flood tide. The gulf is known for it's many bar formations along the beach and these are generally fish cafeterias. Feeder creeks and marshes bring bait into the gulf and these also are good. Look for actual concentrations of bait and grass where shrimp, crabs and baitfish will congregate . Try fishing the inlets and bridges in the area .
As far as flys depends on what you seek but good all around patterns to explore with are Clousers, streamers and shrimp patterns. For walking the shore and exploring I like a 9 wt but thats not locked in stone . Read the local fishing reports and watch other fisherman to see what's going well.
Don't forget you need a saltwater license in Florida and when wading in the gulf be aware of your surroundings . Bull sharks are common and aggressive. Wear something on your feet when wading skates are abundant as well as other spiny creatures .
If you get any more specifics let us know and will be glad to give more details!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser