View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Spey weight for largemouth

Hi Nick,

I'm no shop guy but............ I catch lots of 2-4 pound trout while using 13' and larger rods with lines ranging from 700 - 1050 grains. There is no problem, the catching is enjoyable and I never worry about having too little rod. I believe that the big lines carry a heavy fly much better than a light line and I can tell you that an 875 gr mid belly will really sail out into the river without overexerting myself.

If you want a 7 weight Shooting Star then you should get one and not let someone who isn't going to fish it change your mind. I just bought a 15' 7/8 rod for trout and light salmon and it'll be fun even with a 12" trout attached.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;