View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 11:51 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Help With Fly Patterns for Brown Trout (Lake)

Have you been able to find any good structure/submerged cliffs/ or other ambush spots? I tend to think of browns as the most 'bass-like' of trout. They like to hide in a dark/shady spot that offers an easy ambush. Otherwise I know that they are more nocturnal than rainbows, so maybe night fishing would work if it is possible. At one Colorado tailwater, if you fish the dam outflow at day you get mostly rainbows. Fish the same hole at midnight and almost every fish is a brown. For flies, maybe consider some of the articulated Galloup flies (dungeons, circus peanut, etc.). A 15" brown will eat a 5" streamer no problem. If you want the big pigs, maybe a musky pattern or something larger?

We have a large local reservoir that is ~250', It is tough to find the browns in there, but I have found them along submerged cliff lines and rocky coves.
Good luck, post up a photo of that hog when you get it!