View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 11:45 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spey weight for largemouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
They said a 7wt Spey would be far too much rod and line grain for even a decent sized largemouth, being fairly equivalent to a 9wt standard rod.
They don't fish two handers. They are wrong.

The mistake they are making is thinking in single hand terms in the first place. Do not look at this as Size fish = certain weight two hander. Wrong wrong uh wrong and a wrong. Look at this as Distance to deliver fly = rod size. Now let me ask you a question. What fights harder? A 4 pound Largemouth or a 10 pound Walleye? I'll answer you in case you don't know. The Largemouth. Most Walleye fight like a wet sock. A 10 pounder puts up a modestly good fight and I have never had one jump yet. I fish for them with a 15' 8/9 wt. and a 15' 10/11 wt. After much thought I decided I could do better and got Thomas and Thomas to roll me a 17' 11 wt. blank. I wanted an 18'er but couldn't find one.

This is not about the size of the fish and technically speaking, it for the most part shouldn't be with single hand rods either. This should be thought of as the delivery system for a fly. How big is the fly? How far away do you want to drop it? I'll tell you right now, there isn't a Bass fly made I can't cast with those two rods. The question we have left is, how far do you ned to drop them away from you? Or better yet, how far do you WANT to?

I have big water and need to make really long casts. There is no such thing a to long a cast here. You may not need that kind of distance. You may not be able to cast as far as I do either because I fished the snot out of them to get where I can. You may not have the time to invest to get to that point. You may end up a natural and can outcast my distances right away. We never know till you do it. But don't go listening to nonsense like a 7 wt. two hander is a 9 wt single hander equivalent. It's balogna. It's like saying a Laborgini is the equivalent of a Chevy Silverado. In what friggin way? It's apples and oranges.

What does the areas you want to do this look like? Can you cast the outside of long weed edges form a spot you can get in waders? Is there submerged structure way out you would like to hit, and how far is that from where you can stand? What's the longest cast you need to make?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
I think he might be right in the fact that a 2lb largemouth on a 7wt Spey with a 450 grain line might be like pulling in a twig.

Nope, he's wrong on that one as well.

Last edited by Guest1; 02-17-2013 at 12:00 AM.