View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 10:33 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tell me what you guys think..

Improvisation is what makes a good fly tier even better. When you are starting out unless you drop a lot of coin you aren't going to have everything on hand. Over time you'll build your material selection. Beyond the basic materials that can be used on countless patterns as you tie a new to you pattern buy the materials as you need them.

Your flies look great, especially for being a new tier! Copper Johns are more of an intermediate-advanced pattern in my opinion. Same can be said for the Prince. There's a lot going on with materials in all of your patterns. I have no doubt they will all catch fish, you should be very pleased with the outcome.

A few things stick out that I would work on if I had tied those flies. The wraps of wire should be tighter as you did in the Deep Prince. I can see gaps in the Copper Johnson and Brassie. Dubbing that ice material can be tough, it doesn't always hold on the thread. Less is more with dubbing. You can always add more to it if needed. I would suggest tighter wraps on the dubbing.

Hand in hand with the dubbing is thread control. That will come in time, but when I started, and even sometimes now, I tend to add too much thread or material and find myself thinking about this constantly 2-4 wraps of dubbing, hackle is a good rule though not one set in stone. Same 2-4 wraps to lock in materials. Over the past couple of years I've really broken myself of this bad habit and am starting to do it more without thinking about it.

The hackle looks a little long on the Prince but that could be a byproduct of using what you have on hand.

Again, really really nice work on these, please keep tying and posting. There are many excellent tiers on the forum who are willing to help. I constantly find myself learning and being inspired by other tiers here.