View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 10:53 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Multipurpose patterns/sizes for NOT a trout fisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
My question: I have tied various sizes of PT nymphs, tiny #18 zebra and blood midges, and brassies - are there some "general" nymph patterns that will tend to work underneath of almost any hatch out there?

I know this depends on the specific water, but that's just the point -- I'm looking for a small list of patterns/sizes to carry in my truck to give me a chance virtually anywhere there are hatches (rainbow and brown, not brookies).
Gold ribbed hares ear #12-16, some unweighted and some weighted or gold bead head. For even more variety tie them in natural and olive.

Dave's Red Fox Squirrel #12-16, some unweighted and some weighted or gold bead head.

Pheasant tail #14-20, some unweighted and some weighted or gold bead head.

Zug Bug or Prince, #12-16, some unweighted and some weighted or gold bead head. On the bead head ones, you might also try adding a "hot spot" or fluorescent red or orange behind the bead where you tie off the tying thread. (Simply using flo red or orange for your tying thread achieves this.)

Copper John #14-18.

Gary Lafontaine's Bead Head Twist Nymph, #14-18, in both peacock and pheasant tail versions. Try tying some with a fluorescent red or orange "hot spot" as well as the regular pattern.

Quote:
Oh, and most hatch charts I've seen always mention the caddis and mayflies, but rarely the midges. Are they usually concurrent but not mentioned? Are they considered less imporant as a food source? Not as sophisticated? I have these tiny #18 midge nymphs and was wondering when to use them....

Thanks -- I know that's a lot of stuff to throw at you .
I haven't had much luck with midges on moving water. I do carry a few, but it's not very often that the fish are selectively keyed in to feeding on them rather than anything bigger. Where they seem to be most useful is in rich, spring-creek or tailwater environments when there is a specific midge hatch occurring. (Others may have had different experiences but that's mine.)

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
Ah, griffith gnat! I should tie some of those....forgot about that pattern. That's my kind of dry fly.
If you're looking for suggestions other than nymphs, then also:

Wooly Bugger #8 or 10

Hornberg dry (but you can pull it under and fish it like a streamer) #10 or 12

Black ghost marabou streamer #8, 10 or 12

Parachute hare's ear #12-16

Parachute Adams or Parachute BWO #16-20

Parachute Light Cahill or Parachute Sulphur #14-18

Royal Wulff #10-16

Ausable Wulff "12-16

Yellow Humpy #12-14

Elk Hair Caddis #12-18, in natural hare's ear, peacock, and olive

Hare's ear caddis #12-18. Can't always find these commercially but they are easy to tie: just a hare's ear body with a mixed grizzly and brown rooster hackle. Fish them dry and skitter on the surface to imitate an adult caddis, or pull them under and fish wet to imitate an emerging pupa or egg-laying adult. Mix a little Antron with the hare's ear dubbing for sparkle if you like.

Leadwing Coachman wet #12-14

English March Brown wet #12-14

Blue Dun wet #14-18

(And I'm not even getting into the soft hackle wets, which can be great as both wet flies and emergers, but not necessary for a basic selection.)