View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 11:40 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spring and Pawl?

Interesting question sweetandsalt. I'm not sure either term would be incorrect? Would it not be possible for these reels to fall into either classification? If not, what would the fundamental difference be between a click and spring be other than the design and type of spring used? Pawl is clearly the constant.

Admittedly, I am just discovering these gems. I grew up fishing reels with drag from my spin fishing days and when I made the transition to fly fishing, I assumed that I needed drag and wanted any advantage I could get since I was mostly self taught. This goes back before the explosion of the internet.

Last year, I fished my first non disc drag reel, a Hardy LRH and got hooked. I then went and acquired a St. John to fish Great Lakes steelhead with and was blown away at how well it handled large fish. Even with the tension knob backed all the way out, fish in the 10-15 lb class were no problem to land. Although not an unlikely fish landed with the St. John, given that's what I was targeting, I was really impressed by the simplicity and effectiveness of design characteristics that go back over a hundred years. The simplicity is historic, incredibly functional and takes fishing to a new to me dimension.

Current favorites would include most reels from the Lightweight Series and the Perfects both the Hardy version and made for Winston version. Something about those old perfects is, well perfect. I'm also quite fond of the CFO's and am looking forward to seeing the Hardy issued Sage 500 series in hand.