View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 02:26 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Multipurpose patterns/sizes for NOT a trout fisherman

When I was tying commercially, there were a few terrestrial patterns I sold quite often & they were always present in my own fly boxes. One was a similar ant pattern to what moucheur2003 mentioned, but a hard bodied version made with 2 lumps of either black or red acetate floss, and about 2 turns of hackle. The hackle could be black, red brown, bright red or a dark red, either rooster or hen. Acetate floss when dipped in acetone hardens. It's not the best procedure due to the fumes, but does make a good fly. Another was made with thread lumps & epoxy coated. The most purchased sizes were 12, 14 & 16.

There were 2 beetle patterns I sold most. One was made with a shell of foam, and micro cactus chenille under the foam. The other beetle was spun deerhair, tied on a nymph/wet fly type hook to get a bit more weight & clipped to shape. Black was the most common color, but I did them in other colors as well. However sizes varied more, from 16 up to 8, as they made great panfish patterns too!

Another pattern that I sold a lot was a deerhair worm. Tied on longer shank hooks, usually nymph/wet fly types, which was nothing more than deer hair tied in at the rear of the hook, twisted some & laid along the hook shank over a thread base. The tying thread was left at the rear of the hook & the body was ribbed with the thread. Then the deer hair was tied down behind the hook eye & the extra hair was clipped to form a bit of a head. Very simple & easy to tie, but worked quite well. I made foam versions too, but they didn't have the same appearance as deerhair. Green (bright green/chartreuse) & natural tan deerhair was the most popular colors, and 12 & 14 the most popular sizes.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!