View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 03:39 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Spring and Pawl?

I too had one reel, a Pfluger Medalist, my first half decade as a fly fisher and my first saltwater reel in the 70's was a yet bigger Medalist. I bought my first Hardy, an LRH Lightweight, in about 1970. While it is obvious I have long since evolved into a gear obsessed angler (at least during the winter while I have time to think about it) and, for the fishes sake, mostly fish reels with drags now, my simple reel roots are still strong. Writing about these reels today, that I believe all evolved from early Hardy's, I noted the linguistic discrepancy applied to describing this class of reels that check line's flow off the spool via a spring loaded pawl engaging a toothed gear encircling the interior spindle recess of the spool. I have long referred to such reels as "spring and pawl" models and am simply, if not particularly importantly, wondering if there is a historically correct terminology to referre to these reels by.

Name and brand aside, their charm lies in their simplicity and the emphasis they place on the angler to manually manipulate his tackle, engaging and informing his/her technique regardless of the sophistication of future fly reels he winds up fishing with.