View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 04:31 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Spring and Pawl?

Certainly my big Medalist (1498 I think) was of the brake shoe variety. But starting with my LRH, my reels were mostly Hardy or Orvis "spring and pawls" for the next two decades. Even my salmon reel was a Marquis (labeled on these shores, "Scientific Anglers System") which had the high tech advantage of an exposed rim. When I began bonefishing though, in the later 80's, I got a cork disc-drag, draw-bar reel made by Frank Catino in Florida. That got me experimenting with some early trout sized reels featuring actual drag mechanisms, which, at least on large, wild trout rivers, where the fish have room to run, quickly convinced me that big trout were brought to net greener and released with less lactic acid build up, promoting safer catch and release. I still fish an old CFO occasionally though.