View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 07:09 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Odd or even number rods?

Nick_k posted a thread on 7 wt. rods and atilla's post got me thinking about the rods that I use most of the time.

For me, it's the odd number rods:

3 wt. - have 4
5 wt. - have 5
7 wt. - have 1
9 wt. - have 3
11 wt. - have 1

On the other side; the even side, I have:

4 wt. - have 1
6 wt. - have 1
8 wt. - have 1

I think a lot of it stems from the fact that my first rod was; as is common, a 5 wt. From there I went down, since my favorite fishing is for native Brookies up in headwaters; so 3 wts.. made sense. I don't drop below 3 wts.; at least not so far ,although I've been eying some local streams that aren't much more than 5 ft. across and a 1 wt. has crossed my mind........... Then I started fishing Smallies and a 7 wt. seemed like the right tool for the size fish I was after. Then along came Stripers and Bones and with them the 9 wts. were added. I fished Tarpon once, and that's where the 11 wt. comes from, but most of the time it gathers dust.

The 4 wt. is a special rod that Terry Johnson made up for me as an 8'0". The 6 wt. is a Sage One that I made myself last Winter at a rod building class and the 8 wt. is a Redington CPX that I just couldn't pass up for the price (and I'm glad I didn't; what a sweet rod!).

But, all in all, I could easily do all of the fishing that I've done and probably that I ever will do with just the odd number rods.

What's your experience?

Pocono