View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 11:45 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spey weight for largemouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
Diver,

I'm sure you have way more experience with my on spey rods and I certainly respect your opinion and advice here, but the weight of any rod means more than simply the line it should throw. Heavier weight rods are stiffer than lighter weight rods, regardless of the line they are throwing. A 10/11wt rod (spey or standard) has the backbone built in the fight large fish and be able to muscle them around. If the rod has the capability to turn a very large steelhead, or even a larger saltwater fish (maybe 50+lbs), it will most definitely be FAR too much muscle for bass.

But this is where it sorts out into preference. Some people just want to be able to cast far and hook fish. If this is what you want, then yes I agree that bigger is probably better and with every weight up you will gain distance. If your are someone who likes to undersize rod and cares more for the fight than the number of fish, then going bigger becomes counter productive at whatever point the rod has too much muscle built in for your target species.

I will take one good fight with a bass over 2 bass I pull in skimming across the top any day. With a 10/11 weight spey, a good fight with even a 5lb bass is out of the question. You will be able to cast super far and pull in him and all his buddies, but what is it worth at the end of the day if you might as well have hooked them up to a winch and winded them in.

Like I said, at a certain point this becomes personal preference, at that is what the people at Orvis were getting at when they steered me away. I think most anglers would prefer quality over quantity. This is not true for everyone, however, and I don't fault any angler for the way they like to catch fish. I can just tell you that a 10/11 weight is WAY out of the question for any fishing I'll be doing. I could probably pull the bass, his bed, and all his fry in it to shore with that thing.
This has nothing to do with preference. It is what the reallity of the rods is. You say backbone to land big fish. That is a misconception as well. Again, it's the way a rods weight is determined. I can land a big fish on a 5 wt. and a small fish on a 15 8/9 and have the fish niether be overpowered by the rod nor the undergunned for the fish.
Smallie on a 15' 8/9 wt. rod
Click the image to open in full size.
Big Pike on a 9' 5 wt. rod
Click the image to open in full size.

The point here is, that 5 has the backbone for the big fish. The two hander was not overgunning the Smallie to where it did not "twitch the rod". This is not a matter of preference. It is the physics of how the rods are made and rated. Seriously, as I said in the first one I had today about this (not this thread) take 23 pennies and put them in your hand. That is the difference between loading a 5 and an 8 single hand rod. Are you going to tell me that there is less difference in how a Salmon fights and a Smallouth fights than 23 pennies will put on your hand?

I kicked that Pike's butt fast enough I did not have to work it to get it to swim away. That Smallie bent my rod over and put up a very fun fight. It's called physics not preference. That line "With a 10/11 weight spey, a good fight with even a 5lb bass is out of the question" is just flat wrong.

I'll bet you $5 that not a single one of the people who wrongly stuck this stuff in your head actually fish for Bass with a two hander. I do. If you want to listen to Bob in the Orvis underwear department, feel free.