View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 11:54 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Spring and Pawl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
I think the terms got mismatched a bit; maybe "click check" and "spring pawl" are both correct terms but ended up getting jumbled. I've also heard them called "click paw"; pretty sure that ISN'T correct

Chimney was once "chimley" when I was younger and my favorite local word massacre is a stream called "Presque Isle stream" which is almost without fail called "pressteel stream" by young and old alike.
It now shows up as "Prestile Stream" on most maps and even in the Maine fishing regulations. Have you ever fished there? Supposedly it's a rare New England limestoner with prolific hatches, and it's so far from anywhere heavily populated that it doesn't get much pressure. I've been curious about fishing it, except that it's so damn far to drive.

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
What is your opinion and your favorite example of this type of design new or old? Not to compete with Ard, but what is the most unlikely fish you have brought to hand with such a reel?
I think "spring and pawl" is more accurate, because it describes the design components of the mechanism, but I have caught myself saying "click and pawl" because they seem to be used interchangeably.

Favorite example is the Hardy LRH with its screw adjustment and double pawls. The old English-made CFO's are nice too, but the Hardy is more elegantly machined and doesn't have any plastic parts.

Most unlikely fish was a 19" fallfish. I was fishing a Woolly Bugger on a sinking leader and thought I'd caught a whopper brown. (Some would say fallfish are no more unlikely in the East than whitefish are out West, but this thing was huge and put up quite a struggle.)

Incidentally, I find that even when I'm fishing with a disc drag reel I set the drag fairly light and apply extra pressure with the palming rim, rather than relying on a heavy drag setting to do all the work.