View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 01:13 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Odd or even number rods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
If we have learned anything reading all these threads about rod capabilities and manufacturer marketing, it is that a stated rod weight may have little to do with how a rod fishes. I have (too many) 4 very different 5wts. Two are Sages and fish like 6 wts. 1 is a Redington CT and fishes like a 4. I also have a couple of 3wts, 1 of which fishes like a 4.

I guess my point is that a guy should acquire rods that fit the water, fish and style that makes sense for him....not worrying so much about odd or even numbers and more about how each rod fits a need...

2 more cents, I guess...but I think it's counter productive to search for guidelines that don't fit with reality. -Mike
I wasn't looking for guidelines, I was just interested in personal preferences, since the number of time that I fish an even numbered rod is very low.

I think that, like a lot of people, I started with a 9'0" 5 wt. (one with good backbone; a Sage Z-Axis; perhaps the reason why I never really felt that I needed a 6 wt. for streamers), then I went down to a shorter 3 wt. for smaller trout in tight, bushy situations, then up to a 7 wt. for Smallmouths. Stripers and Bones fit well, for me, with a 9 wt. And that's, essentially it. Just preference; in my case, reflected by the type of fishing that I was doing.

I agree with one of the posters who said that odd or even doesn't really matter; you should fish the rod that's right for the situation that you encounter. I also agree with you that some 5 wts. cast like 6 wts. etc.

So, no right or wrong here from my standpoint; I was just interested to see if anyone else ended up where I seem to have landed. And it looks, from the posts so far, like most people favor the exact opposite; the even number rods.

Pocono