Thread: Fly Clubs
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 01:48 PM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fly Clubs

Perhaps this may be kind of report you are looking for. Please forgive me as it is not a fly club, but most are fly fishers. Please don't unleash the fly police on me. It's a kayak club that mostly fishes saltwater but with many fly fishers as members. This is my report for our first ever club trip to Guadalupe River last year.
================================================== =======
Guadalupe Rainbow Trout (Astor Hotel) Trip, January

Ten PACK members decended on Gruene, Tx., with ultalight spinning rods and or fly rods. Brad, Bruce and Berry arrived Thursday night at Craig N. house. Friday saw Jim R., Greg C., Michael H., 1AlexTorres, Geoff M., Craig N., and Mike Mc., pull in at various times of the day and start fishing. On Friday Geoff took top honors with 7 trout landed. Brad went up below the dam and landed a couple of eating size to take home. Most others caught trout and or Guadalupe bass in various numbers. Friday night we feasted on vension chili and fixins but the jalpenos were to hot for any of us to eat. After dinner a fly casting lesson was given to Brad, while the rest of us talked about the day, ogled over each others fly rods and Googled fly rods, and prepared for Saturday.

Saturday started as a conversation of who snored, and a little cooler temps. and north wind about 10-15 mph. Fly Rodders Craig N., Greg C., Jim R., Michael H., and with Bruce B.(spinning) all headed off together for a day of wade fishing. The rest of us launched our kayaks for a float trip, and with Brad carrying a fly rod and spinning rod, Geoff with spinning, with the remaining kayaker's carrying fly rods. Brad was not quiet ready to convert fully to fly rod. The kayaker's got to ride several rapids of varying difficulties. Will leave to them to explain how they navigated. But Brad and Geoff each did do a 3/4 turtle! All enjoyed the rapids and we were all laughing very hard at each other. Everyone caught fish this day except for Berry who drew a goose egg. Several anglers caught their first ever Rainbow Trout and some the same for Guadalupe Bass. Ultralight spinning tackle was the method that produced the best catches. Bruce B. caught an unbeliveable 57 trout this day. Something is not fair with that, and Berry gets skunked. Guess that's why it's called fishing instead of catching, except for Bruce. Everyone still got to sit at the same table with Bruce, as we dined at Scholbel's on an incredible buffet. After dinner Berry and Alex T. went to Freddies for frozen custard.

Sunday was just another great weather day with only Greg, Bruce and Brad with enough energy to fish until noon. They all caught trout, including Brad while using a fly rod. I think Brad is slowly entering the dark side.
Yes, Bruce's catch ratio per hour was about the same. Several comments were made about we need to make this an annual trip. By 1:00 all had departed for home with happy stories to tell. With the exception of two small state stockers, all trout and bass were released to fight another day.

Accommodations were excellent and provided by Craig N. at his house which I choose to call Astor Hotel. Thank you from all of us goes out to Craig.