View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 05:07 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all
Default Shenandoah National Park in Winter

I was driving back from DC from visiting family this past Sunday, and decided to stop and visit one of my favorite east slope streams in the Shenandoah. It's a popular stream, so you'll probably recognize it if you're familiar with the area. Please refrain from posting the name in here. I'm happy to answer PMs, though. The Shenandoah National Park is an incredible fishery. If you value nature and solitude, it's paradise.

Weather was cold; 20s and 30 mph wind. In the draws, I couldn't feel the wind. As long as I kept moving, I was fine. No hatches of note. I saw a couple black stoneflies coming off, but nothing significant. All fish were caught on my winter Shenandoah custom tie: size 16 2xL hook, beadhead gold-ribbed black hare's ear heavily weighted with lead under the body. You gotta get down quick in the plunged pools. Its meant to mimic the black stoneflies and caddisflies that hatch. Presentation trumps pattern in the park anyway.

Water levels were very high for this time of year. I was hoping for stained water due to the weather this weekend. But it all fell as snow and the water was gin clear. Very pretty, but it made fishing a bit tougher.

All-in-all, I caught 2 nice 8-9" brookies and lost a couple more. I only fished about an hour after the hike in. A 9" brookie is a very nice fish in the park.

Click the image to open in full size.
Trailhead

Caught a nice on in this hole.

No out-of-the-water pics when its that cold

View downstream

Another trouty hole

In my opinion, this is the best hole in the park that I've found.