View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 05:38 PM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Winter fishing, could use some help

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrphoto View Post
@vitesse Damn man, look at that pig. I suppose I could muster up a trip the the Arkansas... Bows spawning so soon? Is that typical or has the Banana Belt been unseasonable too like up here?
That pic was from this weekend. Fish are starting to build redds and the males have colored up and are developing a hook jaw.

This is pretty normal for the Ark, around this time, the fish are starting their spawning activities. Upstream, stoneflies are already starting to move about and the fish are starting to take notice. Even with some spots pretty much iced over, fish are thinking spring.

Obviously, stay off the redds, and don't cast to spawning fish. But don't worry, there's plenty of good fishing and a nice egg pattern fished in the faster riffles behind the redds will net you a lot of fish.

The trip to Pueblo from Parker is literally a little over an hour. Fishing access is pretty straight forward and lots of the river is public. For a newbie, start at the dam and work your way downstream. Lots of fish in this stretch and since it gets stocked regularly, you'll get into stocker sized fish for the most part. If you want to chase bigger fish, check out Valco. That's where this bad boy was caught this weekend as well.

Click the image to open in full size.

Park at the parking lot at Valco Ponds and fish upstream or downstream of here. Again, lots of good water and easy access. Most of my fish were caught on a size 20 blood midge or olive rs2. Spend time exploring fishy water and you'll be rewarded. Keep in mind, it get's pretty darn busy over weekends, but that hasn't stopped me from catching fish.

Both pictures are of fish from the Valco area. One upstream, and one downstream. This stretch holds a lot of big fish...

If you're bored at those 2 spots, head down to the Nature Center and do the same, fish up or downstream. There are less fish here...but they're bigger. But I doubt you'll be bored.

Also, these are not typical fish. Most days I'm happy to get into some 18 inchers, this weekend I just seemed to be able to hook into some bigger fish! But overall, I'd be surprised if you didn't catch some fish down there.

Again, getting here is pretty straightforward. Head south on I-25 go to Pueblo, turn left at HWY 50 and turn right again on Thatcher. You'll pass Valco Ponds on your way to the dam, and you'll pass the Nature Center on Pueblo Blvd. There are signs, so it's not too hard to find.

Good luck! And post a report when you get back!