View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 09:16 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Spey weight for largemouth

Nick are you going to use this rig for just bass fishing? While I can understand anyone's desire to try a spey out, bass fishing in a lake is not where it excels. How often with a single hander have you had a bass follow all the way to the tip of the rod as you strip? With a spey you just turned that fish off 4 feet faster than you would with a 9 foot rod, could mean the difference between a fish and a skunk. Spey was conceived to present a swung fly to fish in a river that couldn't be reached with a single hander. Its not a tool to make pinpoint accurate casts, it can but it takes a great deal of practice to get the kind of accuracy that comes into play chasing bass. Bass like a stripped fly, with spey rods all you are doing is stripping in the running line back to the head, cast, swing, step and repeat. They're not streamer stripping rods, if you strip the whole head in now you have to work that whole head out which is a pain and not exactly stealthy when wading in the shallows of a lake or pond. Granted that fly fishing in general is a sport where we limit ourselves and make it challenging but spey rods are specialized tools that do there best in a certain set of conditions and in my opinion its not in still water fishing to structure oriented bass. I could challenge myself to frame a house with a ball peen hammer but wouldn't make more sense to use the proper hammer? The right hammer in this situation and in my opinion is a 7'6" to 9' rod an Ambush line or a bass bug taper and single hand spey casts. Save the spey for rivers where the single hand rod is out gunned by the conditions.