View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 10:34 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Value of a Fly Tying Class

Those who know me know that I tie a lot of flies. I started in a local night class offered through the adult education program in my community. My instructor was Mim's Barker, a local fly shop owner and creator of the original Box Canyon Stone stonefly nymph. I too learned how to finish a fly by hand, while not a true whip finish, it is a series of double half-hitches and much the same as a hand whip. I still finish all of my flies the same way today.

The 6-week evening course really got me started on solid ground. Also, my wife gave me my first fly-tying "kit" just prior to taking the class. This was not a traditional kit as those advertized by many. We lived in West Yellowstone, MT at the time and were friends with Craig and Jackie Matthews of Blue Ribbon Flies. Jackie put together a "kit" that was functional from the get-go with none of those items included that you would never use.

I then secured a copy of Jack a Dennis fly tying book and practiced tying all of the flies he showed in order to better understand the process outside of the classroom setting.

A solid foundation makes for a lifetime of enjoyment.

Best Fishes,

Kelly.