Thread: Home Waters
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 01:12 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Home Waters

I looked through the various departments of the Forum and I really couldn't find a thread that was open to forum members to talk about some of their favorite home waters. So, here we go.

Let's talk about those waters close to where you live and are available to you when you can't make a long drive or plan a trip somewhere, yet they scratch the itch to get out and fish.

Also, let's talk about those waters that were important to you when you were younger as in home waters where you grew up. Take us for a trip down memory lane, then bring ir back to your own backyard.

Perhaps this one will become a 'sticky' so it will be in front of us regularly, but more important, maybe it will become important to you to share those places that define you as a fly angler. Those places that renew and revive you and help you focus on the 'here-and-now' rather than the day-to-day challenges we all face.

Tell us why they are important, and maybe even wax poetic when describing them and what they mean to you.

When I was young I was transported to so many places through the written word and pictures of my favorite outdoor magazines - places I knew I would never see - yet I was able to experience them to some extent. Share those places with the rest of us. Describe what they look like, favorite runs and riffles, how you try to continue to fool that large brown trout in that secluded plunge pool.

Oh, and don't forget pictures - you don't have to be a famous photographer - just share with us the things you see when you get to your favorite place, along with what's along the way as you travel.

Anyway, enough of my waxing...let's get to it.

I am blessed to live in the heart of some of the world's most famous trout waters. With the upper Henry's Fork an hour's drive away, the South Fork of the Snake River nearly in my backyard, my favorite spring creek a 45-minute drive, the Madison River an hour-and-a-half drive, and so on and so on. I am blessed.

Those who know me understand that I fish a certain unnamed spring creek that is just a short drive from my home here in southeast Idaho. Years ago, just after moving to Idaho from southern Utah, and hungry to find local waters to fish, my brother-in-law and I were chasing the salmonfly hatch on a local river. Failing to find the head, tail or the middle of the hatch we were returning home when drove by a stretch of river we had passed earlier. The water was very slow moving and fish were turning - big fish. We stopped and looked the water over. It appeared to be a side-channel of the main river.

After much discussion and my expressing concern that this would be pretty difficult water to fish, we rigged up and waded in. Most spots were very gooey with deep clinging mud that sucked on your boots and stunk like sulfur (1st clue). We fished a multitude of dry flies to actively feeding fish. It was unnerving because many of these fish fit the description I later gave them of 2 to the 3rd power - they were all brown trout that were jumping two-feet out of the water, two-feet from me, and they were two-feet long! No, this is not an exaggeration.

Finally, after hours of fishing various dries to feeding fish, my brother-in-law, Barron, finally had a take and a miss on a good old Renegade. I tied one on and caught my first fish of the day. We were hooked after that and I returned often to the spring.

It took several years, but we were finally able to 'crack-the-code' on this particular water. I also discovered that the water was actually a true spring creek and not a side-channel of the main river. I discovered that there were resident brown trout in a beaver pond on the upper end of the river that were over 30-inches. I found that many fish overwintered in the spring, in fact, I don't think they ever left, as we have pictures of catching some of the same fish year-after-year.

I was able to perfect my method of fishing any spring creek or slack water with suspended nymphs by using the Parasol Emerger fly as a slow-water indicator which resulted in my breaking into the outdoor writing world with my first article ever written about this subject.

Nevertheless, this water holds strong and powerful memories, as well as being the one place in this world where I can go and leave the world behind. I can focus on that very small parasol fly as it drifts slowly suspending a double nymph rig right at the level where the fish are holding. I'm concerned only with having the right flies, the right drift, and hoping one of the big ones is on a collision course with my offerings.

A little slice of heaven on earth...

I know that many of you have seen my pictures of this place, but I will share them here again in order to kick this off.

Kelly's 'No-Tellum' Spring Creek - somewhere in southeast Idaho:
Click the image to open in full size.

This is what the fish like to eat the most - amber scuds:

And this is what we catch:

And sometimes, a few of these...: