Thread: Home Waters
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 12:46 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Home Waters

To be honest my home waters, well they stink! Literally and figuratively but its a short 5min. drive and I can fish. I do find peace while I'm there, its where I go this time of year to chase unicorns and during the summer I can go and get my fill of small mouth. Its not over pressured or over crowded and it is pretty as long as the rains don't over-power Akron's out dated sewer lines, hence the stink. However what I truly consider my home water is the Raritan/Sandy Hook Bayshore from Atlantic Highlands on up to Union Beach in N.J.. Not an overly pretty strech of shoreline to most but to me is like the birth place of it all. It was there I taught myself to fly fish for stripers and bluefish. I was 17 or 18 and finally saved enough money to buy a second hand Orvis 9'6" HLS and a Lamsom reel for 9wt.
At that time there was only one other fly fisherman I knew of and that was our own Only Adipose. I know all the potholes and boulder gardens (pre-hurricane Sandy) from the base of what I refer to as Red Rocks to the flats behind the IFF property. I could grab my gear and handful of flies, walk a block or so from my front door and cut through the crow weeds to fish the mouth of Fisherman's Creek or hop on my beach cruiser and fish either the out flow or right in Natco Lake over the worm "hatch" for stripers. I have every slough and trough mapped out in my head and could tell you without a doubt where the fish would stage on a sand bar for a particular tide.
Then my cousin and I bought a boat and the game was really on. I could find weakfish when the charter guys couldn't all from time spent wading around in shorts and chuck tailors. I had that stretch figured out to the point where my cousin and I could go out and bang weakies, blues and bass all day make one stop and a catch dinner of fluke for the night. It got to the point where quite a few charter boats would ask where we got our limits and used my spot as a bail out.
At that age it was pretty cool to be the only boat in the marina with a limit of keeper fluke for two and half caught on the fly. My cousin and I were called Tom and Huck as we were always barefoot stinking of fish on some kind of adventure that usually paid off. I know of wrecks in the bay that most motor right past, chock full of seabass and black fish. So that is my home water and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't miss it. Now trout is the game and unfortunately the water I feel most at home on is some 300 miles to the south east but it gives me that same vibe. Just like my bayshore I miss it everyday and wish like hell I was fishing it right now!